The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award was created to honor the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014), with a generous $1 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation. With this Award, the IWMF celebrates the courageous work of women photojournalists like Anja who inspire us to take action and better understand the world. This courageous work manifests in many different forms which may include but is not limited to conflict or frontline reporting. Past winners included Heidi Levine, Adriane Ohanesian, and Stephanie Sinclair.
Recipients of the Courage in Photojournalism Award will receive a cash prize of $20,000 and have their work showcased at the World Press Photo Festival for Visual Journalism. The IWMF will accept nominations and third-party nominations in English until January 19, 2018. Please read the eligibility criteria and nomination guidelines carefully before submitting a nomination. Entrants must be full-time women photojournalist of any nationality.
- Full-time journalists.
- journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation.
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible.
- Identify as women.
- All nominations must include candidate information, work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the place and situation captured.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years. The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Submissions must include a 1 page candidate/nomination statement. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the photographs submitted with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.
For any inquiries related to the 2018 Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award, please contact Justine O'Sullivan at email@example.com.