Promoting the work and advancing the role of women in the news media across the globe is critical to transparency and a diversity of voices. The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists, the first funding initiative of its kind, enables the IWMF to dramatically expand its support of women journalists. Established with a $4 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Fund will support projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting and media development initiatives.
The Fund for Women Journalists accepts applications on a rolling basis. Applications may take up to 6 weeks to process.
The Fund was designed to help women journalists by providing grantees support to:
- Expose under-reported but critical global issues
- Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives
- Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers
- Pursue training and leadership opportunities
- Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so
- The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists is open to women and nonbinary journalists of any nationality.
- Journalism must be the applicant's primary profession.
- Applicants must have at least one year of professional journalism experience, with a track record of publishing in non-student outlets.
- We accept applications from teams of journalists; however, the application must be led and submitted by a woman or nonbinary journalist, and the team must include at least 50% women.
- Due to staff capacity, applications are only accepted in English (preferred) or Spanish, but reporting may be published in any language.
- Please note that the IWMF is unable to work with news outlets (such as the BBC) that do not honor the program's crediting requirements.
Note: The IWMF believes that gender does not conform to one notion. We are inclusive of all women, nonbinary and gender nonconforming journalists.
Due to the high volume of applications, we cannot answer questions by phone or provide applicants with individual feedback. Please review the information on our website before beginning your application.
If you have any further questions, please email program coordinator, Taylor Moore, at email@example.com.'