The International Women’s Media Foundation and the Women’s Equality Center are pleased to provide grants to support reporting focused on reproductive health, rights and justice in the Americas. Examples of relevant topics include abortion and contraception access, maternal health, reproductive health policy and abortion bans. These grants support reporting of untold stories surrounding issues that impact women and girls’ daily lives in the region. This opportunity is open to all women and female-identifying journalists and will focus on reporting about and from Argentina, El Salvador, Honduras and the United States.
Grants will typically range from $1,000 to $10,000, but funding will vary depending on the need, scope, and location of the project. Grant funds may be used to cover travel and logistics, security costs, insurance, and other reporting expenses. Applications will be accepted through the IWMF’s Submittable page until December 31, 2018. All reporting and publishing must be completed by June 30, 2019. The IWMF and WEC expect to announce grant recipients by February 2019.
The reporting fellowship is open to individuals and to pairs of journalists. All applicants must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Women and female-identifying journalists from anywhere in the world may apply.
- Professional Journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three (3) or more years of professional journalism experience. Internships do not count toward professional experience.
- Applicants must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
- Applicants may apply in English or Spanish, but English is strongly preferred.
Note for Photographers: Women Photograph, in partnership with the Women’s Equality Center, will also be accepting applications for photographers interested in covering these same topics in the same countries.
- If you are applying as an individual photographer, please apply through Women Photograph;
- If you are a photographer applying as part of a team, please apply through the IWMF.
Accepting Applications until December 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST.